International Sales News - As Seen on TV Products

International news, issues, and trends for innovative consumer products in the direct response television industry (DRTV), as well as tips for export management & international product sales. This blog focuses on the As Seen on TV product category.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

What export documents do I need?

Some export documents that are needed for international customs may include the following:

Shipper's Export Declaration
Commercial invoice
Certificate of Origin
Bill of Lading
Temporary Import Certificate / ATA CARNET
Insurance certificate
Export Packing List
Import License
Consular Invoice
Inspection Certification
Dock Receipt and Warehouse Receipt
Destination Control Statement

The Shipper's Export Declaration is the most common document and outlines the shipper's intent to export. The Commercial Invoice is a bill for the goods from the seller to the buyer, which is used to assess customs duties.

The Bill of Lading is a contract between the owner of the goods and the carrier. For vessels, there are two types: a straight bill of lading which is non-negotiable, and a negotiable or shipper's order bill of lading. The negotiable BL can be bought, sold, or traded while the goods are in transit. The customer usually needs an original as proof of ownership to take possession of the goods. Air freight shipments are handled by air waybills, which can never be made in negotiable form.

Contact an export management organization for assistance in providing the complete and correct documentation for your shipment to go smoothly.

AddThis Feed Button

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Online Advertising is Said to Triple in Canada

Canada is one of the world’s most advanced online cultures. Broadband penetration is over 60%, and more than 63% of the population uses the Internet. However, advertising has been slow to take off until now.

The Canada Online Advertising report analyzes the trends that are quickly changing the once slow-to-change Canadian Internet marketing and media world. Due in part to advertisers' options being limited, online advertising didn’t really take off in Canada. Linguistic and cultural differences between French Canada and other parts of the country also initially inhibited online development.

Nevertheless, the online environment is changing, and Canadian businesses are now recognizing the potential of the web. eMarketer research and statistics agency estimates that online advertising spending in Canada will pass C$3.0 billion (US$2.44 billion) by 2011 - roughly triple its value in 2006.

AddThis Feed Button

Wednesday, December 5, 2007

International certification for export to foreign markets

When exporting, it is good to know what certification is needed to sell a product in a foreign market. Companies in Europe have many new regulations that they need to follow and may need to obtain several different types of certificates. Some of these are:

  • RoHS - The RoHS Directive stands for "the restriction of the use of certain hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment", effective in the European Union.
  • CE mark - a stylized "CE" (for Conformité Européenne) placed on products to signify conformance with European Union regulations.
  • CITES - Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora. Its aim is to ensure that international trade in specimens of wild animals and plants does not threaten their survival.
Other quality control standards that are applied at the factory level may include:
  • Quality (ISO 9001, Quality Warranty)
  • Environmental (ISO 14001, Eco Warranty)
  • Health & Safety (OHSAS 18001, AS/NZS 4801, Work Safe Warranty, ACC Discount Scheme audits)
  • Healthcare (H&DSS), and Food Safety (ISO 22000, BRC, HACCP Warranty, Safe Food Warranty and Global HACCP).
All of these certification programs may need to be taken into account to export your product internationally.

AddThis Feed Button