International Sales News - As Seen on TV Products

International news, issues, and trends for innovative consumer products in the direct response television industry (DRTV), as well as tips for export management & international product sales. This blog focuses on the As Seen on TV product category.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

What export documents do I need?

Some export documents that are needed for international customs may include the following:

Shipper's Export Declaration
Commercial invoice
Certificate of Origin
Bill of Lading
Temporary Import Certificate / ATA CARNET
Insurance certificate
Export Packing List
Import License
Consular Invoice
Inspection Certification
Dock Receipt and Warehouse Receipt
Destination Control Statement

The Shipper's Export Declaration is the most common document and outlines the shipper's intent to export. The Commercial Invoice is a bill for the goods from the seller to the buyer, which is used to assess customs duties.

The Bill of Lading is a contract between the owner of the goods and the carrier. For vessels, there are two types: a straight bill of lading which is non-negotiable, and a negotiable or shipper's order bill of lading. The negotiable BL can be bought, sold, or traded while the goods are in transit. The customer usually needs an original as proof of ownership to take possession of the goods. Air freight shipments are handled by air waybills, which can never be made in negotiable form.

Contact an export management organization for assistance in providing the complete and correct documentation for your shipment to go smoothly.

AddThis Feed Button


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home